martes, 20 de octubre de 2015

Orpheus's Secret (Let me walk with you through Hades)

At Hades gates I held your hand.
It was dark, and the ground shook underneath your feet.
You looked at me, a single glance, and I smiled back.

I took the first step, your hand still tight on my grip.
The walls started to shift, old rocks crackling like broken glass, 
old songs that sung of men turned into sand.
“Why do you smile?” you asked. I lowered my gaze.
“That’s my song they’re singing.” I answered. “That’s Orpheus’s song.”

The voices rose as we walked deeper into them, and as my hand was holding yours I stroked the walls that greeted me back.
“Orpheus’s secret”, the rocks hissed to your ears, the light of flames bursting through their scars.

“You don’t need to be here.” You said. “You’ve already been here, this is not your fight.”
“I want to be here with you.” I replied. I still held your hand, but you grew darker in fear.
“I don’t need you. I’m fine on my own.”
You let go of my hand, and my heart broke.
My tears shone bright in the darkness, bringing light to the path.
“Why?” I looked at you, full of light. “Why won’t you let me love you?”
“Orpheus’s secret”, the rocks hissed again.

Orpheus’s secret is that he lived afterwards. Orpheus's secret is that he now writes even more beautiful songs. Orpheus’s secret is my secret.

You now walk alone and I can’t see your path, because you’re far away. You will fall, you will ache, and you will want to cry. Won’t you let me give you a hand? Wouldn't you let me tend to your wounds? Wipe your tears? 

Let me walk with you.

Let me love you.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario